University Institutional Repository impact on citation of journal articles

Chiner Arias, Alejandro A.Chiner-Arias at WARWICK.AC.UK
Tue Nov 20 05:56:27 EST 2007

Does article self-archiving in an Institutional Repository increase
citation of the articles that are later published in peer-reviewed
scholarly journals?

The literature I am trying to find should provide empirical evidence to
answer this question and should be specifically about self-archiving in
Institutional Repositories.

I am aware of the following bibliography and I know there are plenty of
studies about the citation impact of Open Access in general, including
OA journals and cross-institutional or subject repositories like arXiv.
I am also aware of studies about the impact of OAI searchable archiving.
All of which I find cogent and I do not need to be persuaded.
http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html

Unfortunately the above is not enough for my work.  I need something
specifically about Institutional Repositories, understood as a
university's green OA archive for the research by its academic staff.

Please can I ask from the list if you know of any studies along these
lines?

Many thanks for you help.

Alejandro

Alejandro Chiner, Service Innovation Officer,
University of Warwick Library Research & Innovation Unit,
Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom. Tel: +(44/0) 24 765
23251, Fax: +(44/0) 24 765 24211,
a.chiner-arias at warwick.ac.uk http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/riu