"Bibliometric Distortion": The Babblarazzi Are At It Again...

Jonathan Adams Jonathan.adams at EVIDENCE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 16 08:20:36 EST 2007

Exactly so.  So long as the indicators remain separate from policy
effects (such as funding) they remain sound.
The problem arises where indicators become a target for the purpose of
conducting policy, as Goddard (1975) suggested in regard to UK
economics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law
And Campbell (1976) in relation to social science
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell%27s_Law

Jonathan Adams

Director, Evidence Ltd
+ 44 113 384 5680

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: 16 November 2007 12:41
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] "Bibliometric Distortion": The Babblarazzi Are
At It Again...

If I correctly remember, the Leiden normalization implies that one
compares
the citation scores with the expected citation scores given the
publication
profile of a group. You are right that a game follows naturally: if one
publishes in journals below one's level, one can expect to obtain a
higher
than expected citation score. Since all distributions are skewed, this
effect would be reinforced.

Hitherto, this has not been a major problem because the scores where not
directly related as input to funding.

With best wishes,

Loet