Softwares to find co-references of 2 articles? To detect plagiarism

Zielinski, Christopher zielinskic at WHO.INT
Tue Nov 6 02:31:02 EST 2007

Gene,

Plagiarism-indicating conceptual identities can be found by using
conceptual search software such as Autonomy, Collexis and Semio. In
unreported testing efforts, working with Collexis on abstracts of papers
(not the whole paper) included in MEDLINE, we found that
matching/identities of concepts over 50% generally indicated plagiarism,
while anything over 60% was most likely what you call "grand larceny"
plagiarism.

Best,

Chris

Chris Zielinski
Consultant, World Health Organization
Avenue Appia, CH1211, Geneva Switzerland
Tel: Mobile: +41-795-183035
e-mail: zielinskic at who.int
-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of Eugene Garfield
Sent: 06 November 2007 06:27
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Softwares to find co-references of 2 articles?
To detect plagiarism

If you look up each of the two articles in the WebofScience and store
the complete Source record  in a HistCite collection you would determine
the degree of bibliographic coupling quite easily. Each  of the co-Cited
References would have a citation frequency of 2. As you indicate,
variations in the format of the cited references may be a problem but
the HistCite software simplifies the task of unifying the variants. You
can test this out by going to www.histcite.com

Plagiarism comes in a variety of forms including citation amnesia which
I discussed many years ago in Current Contents
>From Citation Amnesia to Bibliographic Plagiarism
   http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v4p503y1979-80.pdf

A pure case of grand larceny plagiarism is identified by a perfect match
in the set of references cited in the original work as well as the
plagiarized work. Best wishes. Eugene Garfield

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11/1/2007 6:01 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11/1/2007 6:01 AM