question

Morris, Steven (BA) Steven.Morris at BAKERHUGHES.COM
Tue Jan 30 13:46:35 EST 2007

Ali's paper is nicely done, and study should be easy to duplicate and
extend in a couple of different ways. Particularly, it would be
interesting to see how the number of references correlates to citations
received in other fields. Much of scientometrics borders on slow-moving
social science concepts where the knowledge doesn't cumulate quickly.
How do things correlate in fast moving specialties undergoing rapid
knowledge cumulation and specialization, e.g., biomedicine or certain
areas in physics.

The thing I find curious about the study is that there is a large number
of papers, 30%, that have fewer than 10 references. One would think that
these would be maybe short communications or letters, rather than full
papers. I think it would be interesting to examine a few of those low
reference count papers and summarize their characteristics.  Also, the
process by which the papers are classed as letters, articles, and
reviews may have some flaws. Who decides?  It's probably the editor's
decision, and it may not be so easy to do.  After all, a paper can
include a fairly substantial literature review, as well as original
information --  is it a review? .. or an article?

Another thing that would be interesting to see would be a scatter plot
of the 467 articles with number of references on the x axis, and number
of citations received on the y axis along with the line of fit.  Such a
visual presentation really helps to assess the 'goodness' of the
correlation that is being established, and usually shows if outliers are
adversely affecting the analysis.

Below shows a histogram of papers binned according to the number of
references that they cite, taken from a collection of 'all papers from
the journal Scientometrics plus all papers that cite a paper from
Scientometrics."  The data was gathered from WOS in 2005. I think that
about half the papers in the collection are from Scientometrics, while
the rest are from other journals. Without a cumulative plot, it's hard
to tell, but it could be that the 30% percentile occurs at about 10
papers. I've fitted a lognormal distribution to the data, which has a
mode of about 19 papers, which, for this distribution, probably works
out to a mean 25 references per paper.  Is it possible that the
quartiles of this distribution could be used to discriminate short
communications from articles from reviews?

Steven A. Morris, Ph.D

Electrical Engineer V, Technology Development Group

Baker-Atlas/INTEQ

Houston Technology Center

2001 Rankin Road, Houston, Texas 77073

Office: 713-625-5055, Cell: 405-269-6576