Burrell, QL, Hirsch's h-index and Egghe's g-index (Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.162-169

Thu Dec 20 11:25:43 EST 2007

Email: q.burrell at ibs.ac.im

Author(s): Burrell, QL (Burrell, Quentin L.)

Title: Hirsch's h-index and Egghe's g-index

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
162-169, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Cited Reference Count: 18

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: h-index; g-index; stochastic model; publication/citation
process

KeyWords Plus: MODEL

Abstract: In a recent issue of the ISSI Newsletter, Egghe (2006a) proposed
the g-index, claimed to be an improvement on the original h-index proposed
by Hirsch (2005). The aim of this paper is to investigate the inter-
relationships between these two measures and also their time dependence
using the stochastic publication/citation model proposed by Burrell (1992,
2007a). We find that an author's g-index is directly proportional to
career length and hence to the h-index. We also make some tentative
suggestions regarding the relative merits of these proposed measures.

Addresses: Isle Man Int Business Sch, Isle Of Man, IM2 1QB England.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI

Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited References:

BANKS MG
An extension of the Hirsch index: Indexing scientific topics and compounds
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 161 2006

 BURRELL QL
9 INT SCI TECHN IND : 26 2006

 BURRELL QL
On the h-index, the size of the Hirsch core and Jin's A- index
IN PRESS J INFORMETR : 2007

 BURRELL QL
Hirsch index or Hirsch rate? Some thoughts arising from Liang's data
IN PRESS SCIENTOMETR 73 : 2007

 BURRELL QL
A SIMPLE-MODEL FOR LINKED INFORMETRIC PROCESSES
INFORMATION PROCESSI 28 : 637 1992

 BURRELL QL
Hirsch's h-index: A schoastic model
J INFORM 1 : 16 2007

 EGGHE L
An improvement of the h-index: the g-index
ISSI NEWSLETTER 2 : 8 2006

 EGGHE L
Dynamic h-index: The Hirsch index in function of time
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 58 : 452 2007

 EGGHE L
An informetric model for the Hirsch-index
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 121 2006

 EGGHE L
Theory and practise of the g-index
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 131 2006

 GLANZEL W
On the opportunities and limitations of the H-index
SCI FOCUS 1 : 10 2006

 GLANZEL W
On the h-index - A mathematical approach to a new measure of publication
activity and citation impact
SCIENTOMETRICS 67 : 315 2006

 HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 16569 2005

 JIN BH
H-index: an evaluation indicator proposed by scientist
SCI FOCUS 1 : 8 2006

 KOSMULSKI M
A new Hirsch-type index saves time and works equally well as the original
h-index
ISSI NEWSLETTER 2 : 4 2006

 LIANG LM
h-index sequence and h-index matrix: Constructions and applications
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 153 2006

 ROUSSEAU R
A case study: evolution of JASIS' Hirsch index
SCI FOCUS 1 : 16 2006

 ROUSSEAU R
New developments related to the Hirsch index
SCI FOCUS 1 : 23 2006