Bornmann, L; et al Functional use of frequently and infrequently cited articles in citing publications.PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.149-153

Thu Dec 20 11:08:47 EST 2007

Email: bornmann at gess.ethz.ch

Author(s): Bornmann, L (Bornmann, Lutz); Daniel, HD (Daniel, Hans-Dieter)

Title: Functional use of frequently and infrequently cited articles in
citing publications. A content analysis of citations to articles with low
and high citation counts

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
149-153, 2007

Cited Reference Count: 18

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: citation; citation behavior; citation content analysis;
citation context analysis; evaluative bibliometrics

Abstract: Using publication and citation data from a study on the
selection procedure of the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (B.I.F.), this study
investigated the extent to which frequently and infrequently cited
articles were used differently by the scientists that cited them. The data
set consisted of 31 articles by B.I.F. grant applicants that had received
451 citations in 270 citing publications. In a comprehensive content
analysis each reference to the B.I.F. article in the citing publication
was classified according to two categories: 1) the location of the
citation within the citing publication (section of the paper in which the
citation appears) and 2) meaningful or cursory mentioning of the article
in the citing publication. The results showed statistically significant
differences between the B.I.F. applicants' articles with low or high
citation counts. All in all, the results indicate that an article with
high citation counts had greater relevance for the citing author than an
article with low citation counts.

Addresses: ETH, Zurich, Switzerland.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI

Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited References:

*CYT SOFTW CORP
STATXACT VERS 7 : 2005

 AGRESTI A
CATEGORICAL DATA ANA : 2002

 AMSTERDAMSKA O
CITATIONS - INDICATORS OF SIGNIFICANCE
SCIENTOMETRICS 15 : 449 1989

 BONZI S
CHARACTERISTICS OF A LITERATURE AS PREDICTORS OF RELATEDNESS BETWEEN CITED
AND CITING WORKS
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 33 : 208 1982

 BORNMANN L
What do citation counts measure? A review of studies on citing behavior.
IN PRESS J DOCUMENTA

 BORNMANN L
Selecting scientific excellence through committee peer review - A citation
analysis of publications previously published to approval or rejection of
post-doctoral research fellowship applicants
SCIENTOMETRICS 68 : 427 2006

 CANO V
CITATION BEHAVIOR - CLASSIFICATION, UTILITY, AND LOCATION
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 40 : 284 1989

 CONROY RM
Choosing an appropriate real-life measure of effect size: the case of a
continuous predictor and binary outcome
STATA J 2 : 290 2002

 CRAMER H
MATH METHODS STAT : 1980

 HOOTEN PA
FREQUENCY AND FUNCTIONAL USE OF CITED DOCUMENTS IN INFORMATION-SCIENCE
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 42 : 397 1991

 LATOUR B
LAB LIFE SOCIAL CONS : 1979

 MARICIC S
Citation context versus the frequency counts of citation histories
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 49 : 530 1998

 MCCAIN KW
CITATION CONTEXT ANALYSIS AND AGING PATTERNS OF JOURNAL ARTICLES IN
MOLECULAR-GENETICS
SCIENTOMETRICS 17 : 127 1989

 MOED HF
CITATION ANAL RES EV : 2005

 MURUGESAN P
VARIATION OF NATURE OF CITATION MEASURES WITH JOURNALS AND SCIENTIFIC
SPECIALTIES
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 29 : 141 1978

 PREACHER KJ
Use of the extreme groups approach: A critical reexamination and new
recommendations
PSYCHOL METHODS 10 : 178 2005

 VONEYE A
ANAL RATER AGREEMENT : 2005

 VOOS H
Are all citations equal? Or did we op. cit. your idem?
J ACAD LIBR 1 : 19 1976