FW: GENERAL: accuracy of Thomson data

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Dec 18 14:50:06 EST 2007

Dear Christina and colleagues:

Incorrect journal abbreviations and non-ISI sources

Citations

J Phys Chem-US

54,139

Phys Rev

32,352

Biochim Biophys Acta

26,108

Communication

22,062

Am J Physiol

14,716

Unpub

14,020

Am J Med Genet

13,467

J Bone Joint Surg

13,405

J Biomed Mater Res

12,962

J Chem Soc Perk T 1

11,870

Am Rev Respir Dis

11,033

P Soc Photo-Opt Ins

10,817

Acta Metall Mater

10,310

Mmwr-Morbid Mortal W

10,208

Table 4: Non-ISI sources and incorrect journal abbreviations with more than
10,000 citations in the JCR 2005.

"With its 54,139 citations, the J Phys Chem-US would belong to the top-50
journals of the database if it were included. However, this journal is
included in the ISI-database under the abbreviations J Phys Chem A and J
Phys Chem B with 32,086 and 59,826 citations, respectively. For some
journals, however, the different spellings in the references may have large
implications. Bornman et al. (2007, at p. 105) found 21.5% overestimation of
the impact factor of Angewandte Chemie in 2005 because of authors providing
references to both the German and international editions of this journal
(Marx, 2001)."

Source: " <blocked::http://www.leydesdorff.net/cit_indicators/index.htm>
Caveats for the Use of Citation Indicators in Research and Journal
Evaluations," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and
Technology, February 2008 (forthcoming; available as Early View).

With best wishes,

Loet Leydesdorff
  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
 <blocked::mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<blocked::http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Visiting Professor,  <blocked::http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html>
ISTIC, Beijing; Honorary Fellow  <blocked::http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>
SPRU, University of Sussex
Now available:
<blocked::http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581
129378> The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated, 385 pp.;
US$ 18.95;

<blocked::http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581
126956> The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society ;
<blocked::http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581
126816> The Challenge of Scientometrics