Tomaiuolo N "Citations and Aberrations" The Searcher Magazine for Database Professionals 15(7): 17-24, July - August 2007.

Thu Dec 13 13:25:26 EST 2007

E-MAIL: tomaiuolon at ccsu.ctstateu.edu

TITLE   : Citations and aberrations

AUTHOR  : Tomaiuolo, N.

SOURCE  : The Searcher Magazine for Database Professionals 15(7):17-24,
          July-August 2007.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: N.Nicholas G. Tomaiuolo, M.L.S.
Bibliographic Instruction Librarian
Central Connecticut State University Library
Reference Department
New Britain, CT 06050

ABSTRACT:
In today's Webbed-up world, the subject of bibliographic citations may seem
dreary at best.  Writing teachers may love to pick citations apart, but
creating them is tedious.  Students detest them. Editors' assistants
routinely suffer nightmares about correcting them.  Researchers depend on
them and faculty stake their reputations and hopes for recognition on the
number of times they see theirs at the end of their peers' work.  Most of
us learned to compose them in elementary school or junior high, yet
properly constructing bibliographic citations has inexplicably become a
daunting and bewildering chore, especially in this age of digital research.

What is the primary function of a citation?  As a librarian who has spent
many hours in the past 20 years decoding the bibliographic anomalies of
others, I believe citations exist primarily to aid in retrieving the
referenced materials.  A survey I devised in 2006 and mailed to university
and community college English professors throughout the U.S. showed that 91
percent (n=109) agreed with me (only 11 professors disagreed).  While many
writers concur that retrieval is the main purpose of citing information
(refs 1,2,3), some authors assert "intellectual debt" (ref4), as well as
the perils of plagiarism (ref5,6), as the basic missions.  Regardless of
one's perspective on the raison d'etre, everyone seems to agree that
properly citing our sources is critical not only to scholars, but also in
fields such as law.

All researchers and scholars wishing to be published must demonstrate their
scrupulous knowledge of citation formatting in their field and their strict
adherence to it.  Otherwise, their slipshod references, along with their
discoveries, may end up tossed out or returned to them.  Commenting on
a "disconcerting volume of errors" Rose Mary Carroll-Johnson, current
editor of Oncology Nursing Forum, wrote "with each year my tolerance for
this lack of attention to detail has diminished to the point where I have
taken to sending papers back to authors with a demand that the references
be formatted correctly ... it is time for authors to accept the
responsibility for what is really their job."(ref.7)