information and information structures

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Apr 10 00:46:09 EDT 2007

Dear David,

Yes, the time dimension makes it urgent because in information systems the
values  of he variables change and the eigenvectors (representing the
underlying structure) may change. Repeating the analysis for different years
then leads to comparative statics. For a dynamic analysis one needs a
calculus. Information theory offers a calculus (Bar-Hillel, 1955; Theil,
1972), while the measurement results for each moment of time can also be
fully appreciated.

With best wishes,

Loet