Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Tue Mar 7 17:33:07 EST 2006

Loet,
First, before I do anything, I first try to define rational subject sets as
much as possible.  Otherwise you get so many outliers and interaction
effects that you obtain nonsensical results.  Therefore I work only within
defined disciplines.
Second, I work with LC classification, because libraries are orgnanized
that way, and I have ready made sets.  The LC system is not the best of
systems, but it is perhaps the most detailed and comprehensive.   Moreover,
it is understood and used by most people in my field.  However, there are
reams of articles complaining about its illogic, etc.
Third, I really do not think that anybody can come up with a single
classification system that will satisfy everybody.  Libraries found it
impossible to establish collection development policies, because academic
departments cannot define their own subject parameters.  Requests for them
to do so always wound up in ugly cat fights, in which librarians were used
as scatching posts by the faculty.  I live in an imperfect world and just
accept it.  There are about as many ways to look at subjects as there are
people in the world.
Fourth, I do not think that subjects can be defined mathematically.
Perhaps I am old fashioned, but the best way to do it is the old fashioned
way.  Develop some sort of philosophical and logical system, then look at
the item, and see how it fits within your subjective logical system.
Keynes called it analogy and comparison.   Using citations to classify
materials works only for the small set covered by ISI, and this only a
small sample of human knowledge

Perhaps we should continue this offline and not bother a lot of people with
this.

SB

PS  I use ISI subject categories and have found them very good.  But then I
am used to using bad classification systems like LC and the DDC.

Loet Leydesdorff <loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 03/07/2006
03:27:21 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>