Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Mar 7 03:00:30 EST 2006

Thanks, Stephen: I find this very clear.

But I thought that you had not found such a high correlation between IFs and
total cites. When I compute this correlation over the SCI 2004, I find r =
.405 and Spearman's rho = .726. Not too bad! (For the SoSCI r = 0.642 and
rho = .746. Of course, everything is highly significant because of the high
numbers.)

Nevertheless, the picture which I sent you yesterday clearly shows that
there are two factors involved: total cites are like total number of
publications and faculty assessment based on properties of the journal, that
is, the nodes of the networks, while IF's and c/p ratios are properties
(e.g., averages) of links.

Network parameters are different from node attributes. Both are interesting,
but different.

With kind regards,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681;
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/