Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Mar 7 02:20:29 EST 2006

Dear Kevin,

My only point was that I would like to know how these categories are
assigned. I agree that some of these assigments are better than others and
that it is a difficult job, but we cannot control anything until we know the
how. Is there an algorithm, specific expertise or is it just done by one or
more indexers?

If you look for a better classification, one could use the one of the
Library of Congress. That is done very professionally.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681;
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____