Nicholas D, Rowlands I, Huntington P, Russell B. "Opening up the digital box: What deep log analysis can tell us about our digital journal users " Charleston Conference Proceedings 2003: 118-138, 2004. Editor Bazirjian R, Speck V.

Thu Jun 22 14:41:19 EDT 2006

E-mail addresses :

David Nicholas : david.nicholas at ucl.ac.uk
Ian Rowlands   : i.rowlands @ ucl.ac.uk
Paul Huntington: paulh at city.ac.uk
Bill Russell   : BRussell at emeraldinsight.com

Title: Opening up the digital box: What deep log analysis can tell us about
our digital journal users

Author(s): Nicholas D, Huntington P, Rowlands I, Russell B

Source: CHARLESTON CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS 2003 : 118-138, 2004
Editor(s): Bazirjian R, Speck V

Document Type: Article                 Language: English
Cited References: 7

Conference Information: 23rd Annual Charleston Conference
Charleston, SC, 2003

Abstract: This two-part chapter considers the implications of log data for
publishers and librarians. In this connection it reports on ongoing
research into the use of two digital journal libraries, those of Emerald, a
business and information studies publisher, and Blackwell, a scientific
journal publisher. Employing deep log analysis techniques and adopting a
strong consumer perspective, the first part of the chapter examines the
information seeking behavior and background characteristics of the users of
these two systems. Among the information traits examined are "site
penetration," repeat use (perhaps, signs of current awareness and loyalty),
and number of journals consulted. Users are characterized, among other
things, according to their type of subscription, the type of university
they come from, and the nature of their job. The concept of information
promiscuity in the age of massive consumer choice is raised and reflected
upon. A small case study is also included highlighting the relationship
between log and citation data. The second part of the chapter features the
publishers telling us what this all means to them, and what actions they
propose to take.

Addresses: City Univ London, London EC1V 0HB, England
Publisher: LIBRARIES UNLIMITED INC, PO BOX 3988, ENGLEWOOD, CO 80155 USA
IDS Number: BDL21
ISBN: 1-59158-217-2

CITED REFERENCES :
INGWERSEN P