Early citation advantage?

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Thu Jun 22 01:09:05 EDT 2006

Yes, this sort of intelligent transformation and weighting is
precisely what the process of validating evaluative scientometrics is
all about. The process is very similar to psychometrics, as in
validating intelligence tests or neuropsychological tests of brain
injury: Tests and test items are constructed, included, excluded or
weighted according to the degree to which they correlate with the
criterion that we are trying to measure or predict. No, this is not
circular. In the case of intelligence, for example, we have the fact
that when a younger child can do things only an older child can
usually do ("IQ"), it tends to mean the child is more intelligent; or
we may have a face-valid later-performance index of intelligence,
against which we can then validate early predictors. Same with brain
injury: We pick test items that correlate selectively with later
(surgical or autopsy  -- or, these days, neural imagery) evidence of
brain injury and its localisation.

The trouble with scientometrics (and sometimes also psychometrics) is
that we tend to construct or derive the metric but never bother going
through the step of validating it! We just baptize it as having face
validity. With pure quantity measures such as publication counts,
this might possibly be legitimate (if we really which to treat
publications as products, and ends in themselves.) But starting
already with citations, validating needs to be done. Metrics cannot
be declared valid by a-priori fiat.

(Having said that, I have no doubt that citation counts, co-citation
counts, hub/authority measures. endogamy.exogamy measures,
recursively weighted citation counts, field-normalised citation
counts, downloads,  download/citation latency measures, and many
other scientometric measures can and will be successfully validated
against the kinds of things we want them to correlate with and
predict. But adjustment and weighting by domain will no doubt be a
big factor in metric validation too.)

Stevan Harnad