von Wartburg I; Teichert T; Rost K "Inventive progress measured by multi-stage patent citation analysis " RESEARCH POLICY 34 (10): 1591-1607 Dec. 2005

Mon Jul 31 15:10:50 EDT 2006

Wartburg at econ.uni-hamburg.de

DOI: 10.1016/J.RESPOL.2005.08.001

Author: von Wartburg I; Teichert T; Rost K

Title : Inventive progress measured by multi-stage patent citation analysis

Source: RESEARCH POLICY 34 (10): 1591-1607 Dec. 2005.

Address
 Univ Hamburg, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany.
Univ Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.

Reprint
 von Wartburg, I, Univ Hamburg, Von Melle Pk 5, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany.

E-mail :  Wartburg at econ.uni-hamburg.de

Abstract
 Studies of technological change constitute a field of growing importance
and sophistication. In this paper we contribute to the discussion with a
methodological reflection and application of multi-stage patent citation
analysis for the measurement of inventive progress. Investigating specific
patterns of patent citation data, we conclude that single-stage citation
analysis cannot reveal technological paths or lineages. Therefore, one
should also make use of indirect citations and bibliographical coupling. To
measure aspects of cumulative inventive progress, we develop a "shared
specialization measure" of patent families. We relate this measure to an
expert rating of the technological value added in the field of variable
valve actuation for internal combustion engines. In sum, the study presents
promising evidence for multi-stage patent citation analysis in order to
explain aspects of technological change. (c) 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights
reserved.

CITED REFERENCES
 *EPO, 2005, GUID EX EPO B, CH4
AKERS NJ, 2000, WORLD PATENT INFORM, V22, P309
ALBERT MB, 1991, RES POLICY, V20, P251
ARCHIBUGI D, 1992, SCI PUBL POLICY, V19, P357
ARUNDEL A, 1998, RES POLICY, V27, P127
BALCONI M, 2004, RES POLICY, V33, P127
BASBERG BL, 1987, RES POLICY, V16, P131
BRAAM RR, 1991, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V42, P233
BRAAM RR, 1991, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V42, P252
BREITZMAN A, 2002, RES TECHNOL MANAGE, V45, P28
CARPENTER MP, 1981, WORLD PATENT INFORMA, V3, P160
COCKBURN IM, 2003, PATENTS KNOWLEDGE BA, P1
COHEN W, 2003, PATENTS KNOWLEDGE BA, P1
DENG Z, 1999, FINANCIAL ANAL J, V55, P20
DOSI G, 1982, RES POLICY, V11, P147
EGGHE L, 2002, SCIENTOMETRICS, V55, P349
FLEMING L, 2001, RES POLICY, V30, P1019
FREEMAN LC, 1979, SOC NETWORKS, V1, P215
GARFIELD E, 1972, SCIENCE, V178, P471
GOODMAN LA, 1961, ANN MATH STAT, V32, P148
GRILICHES Z, 1990, J ECON LIT, V28, P1661
GRUPP H, 1998, FDN EC INNOVATION
HALL BH, 2000, NBER WORKING PAPER, V7741
HALL BH, 2001, 8498 NBER WORKING PA
HANNIBAL W, 1993, VERGLEICHENDE UNTERS
HARHOFF D, 1999, REV ECON STAT, V81, P511
HARHOFF D, 2003, RES POLICY, V32, P1343
HENDERSON R, 1998, REV ECON STAT, V80, P119
JAFFE AB, 1993, Q J ECON, V108, P577
LANJOUW JO, 1998, J IND ECON, V46, P405
MACROBERTS M, 1988, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V40, P342
MANSFIELD E, 1986, MANAGE SCI, V32, P173
MEYER M, 2000, SCIENTOMETRICS, V49, P93
MICHEL J, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS, V51, P185
NARIN F, 1987, RES POLICY, V16, P143
NARIN F, 1994, SCIENTOMETRICS, V30, P147
PAVITT K, 1985, SCIENTOMETRICS, V7, P77
PODOLNY JM, 1995, AM J SOCIOL, V100, P1224
QUILLEN CD, 2001, FEDERAL CIRCUIT BAR, V11, P1
ROSENBERG N, 1982, INSIDE BLACK BOX TEC
ROSENBERG N, 1996, MOSAIC EC GROWTH
ROSENKOPF L, 2001, STRATEGIC MANAGE J, V22, P287
SAHAL D, 1985, RES POLICY, V14, P61
SCHMOOKLER J, 1966, INVENTION EC GROWTH
SCHUMPETER JA, 1939, BUSINESS CYCLES
TIJSSEN RJW, 2001, RES POLICY, V30, P35
TRAJTENBERG M, 1990, RAND J ECON, V21, P172
TRAJTENBERG M, 1997, EC INNOVATION NEW TE, V5, P19
VANVIANEN BG, 1990, RES POLICY, V19, P61
WASSERMANN S, 1994, SOCIAL NETWORK ANAL