Microsoft Academic Search vs. Google Scholar

David Goodman dgoodman at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Apr 13 14:00:00 EDT 2006

Preliminary data only:

There is substantial online help and information
<http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/help.aspx?FORM=HLDD4>

The link to the specific help for this point is:
<http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/help.aspx?t=SEARCH_REF_AdvSrchOperators.htm#sb_rr>

They do claim to use citations for ranking, if you mean links from other sites, not references within the paper.
(btw, references within the paper do not seem to count in the ranking, but they do seem to be searched.)

"Using results ranking, you can put emphasis on different factors to get a different set of results for the same search. Type your
search terms in the search text box, and then click Search Builder. Click Results ranking, and then move the sliders in the
direction you want: [3 choices]

Updated recently
To modify your search to add emphasis to sites that have been recently added to the search index, move the left slider up.

Very popular    To add emphasis to sites by the number of other sites that link to them, move the middle slider up.

Approximate match       To put the most emphasis on the match between your exact search words and your results, move the
right slider down.  Note This will de-emphasize the first two slider rankings."

==================

My confidence in their help screens is somewhat shaken by "Query rules"--same page

"All searches are "AND" searches. Pages that contain at least one of the terms you type are returned."

>From limited experiments, they seem to mean
 'AND searches, and only pages with both terms are retrieved'
rather than 'OR searches, and only pages with both terms are retireved'

I reported it,and will keep track to see if they fix it.

 Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly