Microsoft Academic Search vs. Google Scholar

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Wed Apr 12 15:28:36 EDT 2006

My early comment as related to this forum is that it doesn't attempt
citations, I believe.  It looks at "authority", but I'm not exactly sure
how that works. See this interesting quote from their page:

How do you determine relevance? Are you using citation counts in the
relevance ranking?
We are determining relevance based on the following two areas, as
determined by a Microsoft algorithm:
# Quality of match of the search term with the content of the paper
# Authoritativeness of the paper.
Currently, we are not using citation count as a factor in determining
relevance. Among the many reasons that led us to this decision was the
fact that we wanted to have an accurate and credible citation count to
be used in the relevance ranking. User trust of the relevance ranking
algorithm requires a very credible, trusted citation count, and we will
revisit the inclusion of Microsoft derived citation count in the
relevance ranking algorithm at a later date as our technology improves
further.

It is encouraging, from a librarian standpoint, that they are working
with the Open URL resolvers -- even if JHU isn't included yet.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore)
Fax 443.778.5353