Abstract for Keynote address, Sydney, Australia, September

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Thu Sep 8 08:03:43 EDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:50:17 +0100 (BST)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: Tony Cargnelutti <t.cargnelutti at unsw.edu.au>
Cc: susan.owen at unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: Stevan Harnad & ETD2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Tony Cargnelutti wrote:

> Dear Stevan - The Conference Organisers need the
> abstract by COB Friday 9 September for printing purposes.
> Cheers and many thanks. Tony

Dear Tony,

Here is the abstract (313 words) for my keynote:
http://adt.caul.edu.au/etd2005/etd2005.html

Title: Maximising Research Impact By Mandating Institutional Self-Archiving

    It is a foregone conclusion that the next generation of researchers
    will self archive their research output in their own Open Access
    (OA) Insititional Repositories (IRs) for all potential users
    online, and they are already beginning now, with their theses
    and dissertations. But what about the present generation of
    researchers? Only 15% of the annual 2.5 million articles being
    published in the world's 24,000 journals is being self-archived
    today. Self-archiving has been shown to increase citation impact
    50%-250+% by making the research available to those users whose
    institutions cannot afford access to the official journal version. The
    marginal dollar value of a citation was estimated by Diamond in 1986
    to be $50-$1300 (US). Updating to 2005, converting to Australian
    dollars ($65-$1700) and using even the most conservative ends of
    these esimates (50% x $65) and multiplying by the 85% of Australia's
    annual journal article output of about 35,000 (according to ISI)
    that is not yet OA, this translates into an annual loss of $966,875
    in revenue to Australian researchers for not having done the few
    extra keystrokes per article it takes to self-archive it. And that
    is without even considering the loss in revenue from potential usage
    and applications of Australian research findings in Australia and
    worldwide, nor the even more general loss to the progress of human
    inquiry. The solution is obvious, and Research Councils UK are on the
    verge of implementing it: a mandate to extend the existing universal
    requirement to 'publish or perish' to 'publish and also self-archive
    the final peer-reviewed author's draft in your OA IR'. Over 90% of
    journals already endorse author self-archiving and an international
    JISC author study (plus the actual experience of the two institutions
    that have already adopted such a requirement) show that over 90% of
    authors will comply. I will present the evidence, across disciplines
    and countries, for the 50%-250% OA citation impact advantage.

Chrs, S

Stevan Harnad
Moderator, American Scientist Open Access Forum

Chaire de recherche du Canada
Centre de neuroscience de la cognition (CNC)
Université du Québec à Montréal
Montréal, Québec,  Canada  H3C 3P8
harnad at uqam.ca
http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/

Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM
harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk