Olson JE "Top-25-business-school professors rate journals in operations management and related fields " INTERFACES 35 (4): 323-338 JUL-AUG 2005

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Thu Oct 27 15:22:25 EDT 2005

Josephine E. Olson : E-mail Addresses: jolson at katz.pitt.edu

Title: Top-25-business-school professors rate journals in operations
management and related fields

Author(s): Olson JE

Source: INTERFACES 35 (4): 323-338 JUL-AUG 2005

Document Type: Article    Language: English
Cited References: 14      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: I obtained quality ratings and rankings of 39 journals in
operations management and related disciplines through surveys of faculty
members at top-25 US business schools in 2000 and in 2002. 1 also computed
five-year impact factors for 29 of these journals and developed a ranking
based on these impact factors. I found evidence of some change in journal
quality ratings over the two-year period. Ratings also differed by research
area but not by professorial level. In addition, I ranked the journals
based on the number of academics who rated their quality, calling this a
visibility measure. Finally, I compared my ratings to ratings in earlier
survey and citation studies. The quality ratings were more consistent than
the citation ratings.

Addresses: Olson JE (reprint author), Univ Pittsburgh, Joseph M Katz Grad
Sch Business, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
Univ Pittsburgh, Joseph M Katz Grad Sch Business, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA

E-mail Addresses: jolson at katz.pitt.edu

Publisher: INST OPERATIONS RESEARCH MANAGEMENT SCIENCES, 901 ELKRIDGE
LANDING RD, STE 400, LINTHICUM HTS, MD 21090-2909 USA