Marshakova-Shaikevich I "Bibliometric maps of field of science" Information Processing & Management 41(6):1534-1547 December 2005

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Mon Oct 24 14:46:43 EDT 2005

Marshakova-Shaikevich Irena : E-mail Addresses: ishaikev at mail.ru

Title: Bibliometric maps of field of science

Author(s): Marshakova-Shaikevich I

Source: INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 41 (6): 1534-1547 DEC 2005

Document Type: Article    Language: English
Cited References: 16      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: The present paper is devoted to two directions in algorithmic
classificatory procedures: the journal co-citation analysis as an example
of citation networks and lexical analysis of keywords in the titles and
texts. What is common to those approaches is the general idea of
normalization of deviations of the observed data from the mathematical
expectation. The application of the same formula leads to discovery of
statistically significant links between objects (journals in one case,
keywords-in the other). The results of the journal co-citation analysis are
reflected in tables and map for field "Women's Studies" and for
field "Information Science and Library Science". An experimental attempt at
establishing textual links between words was carried out on two samples
from SSCI Data base: (1) EDUCATION and (2) ETHICS. The EDUCATION file
included 2180 documents (of which 751 had abstracts); the ETHICS file
included 807 documents (289 abstracts). Some examples of the results of
this pilot study are given in tabular form. The binary links between words
discovered in this way may form triplets or other groups with more than two
member words. (c) 2005 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Marshakova-Shaikevich I (reprint author), RAN, Inst Philosophy,
Moscow, 119842 Russia
RAN, Inst Philosophy, Moscow, 119842 Russia
KW Univ, Bydgoszcz, PL-85090 Poland

E-mail Addresses: ishaikev at mail.ru

Publisher: PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD, THE BOULEVARD, LANGFORD LANE,
KIDLINGTON, OXFORD OX5 1GB, ENGLAND

IDS Number: 956XE

ISSN: 0306-4573

Cited References: AMUDHAVALLI A, 1995, P 5 BIENN C INT SOC.
JONES KS, 1971, AUTOMATIC KEYWORD CL.
KESSLER MM, 1963, AM DOC, V14, P10.
KOPSA A, 1995, 4 INT C SCI TECHN IN.
LEYDESDORF L, 1997, P 1 INT C BIBL THEOR.
MARSHAKOVA I, 1974, NAUCHNO TEKHNICHESKA, V2, P11.
MARSHAKOVA I, 1974, NAUCHNO TEKHNICHESKA, V2, P7.
MARSHAKOVA I, 2003, LANGUAGE INFORMATION, P87.
MARSHAKOVASHAIK.I, 2004, INT WORKSH WEB INF S, P247.
MARSHAKOVASHAIKEVICH I, 1996, SCIENTOMETRICS, V35, P283.
MARSHAKOVASHAIKEVICH I, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS, V52, P323.
MARSHALL B, 2001, BMC BIOCH, V2, P5.
MARSLAND AM, 2001, SKIN THERAPY LETT, V6, P3.
NOYONS E, 1995, 9506 CWTS BMBF.
SMALL H, 1973, J AM SOCINFORM SCI, V24, P256.
ZITT M, 1994, SCIENTOMETRICS, V30, P333.