Chronicle of Higher Education Impact Factor Article

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Oct 10 21:40:16 EDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Stephen J Bensman wrote:

>>  SH: If you wish to challenge this, it would be very helpful if you
>>  could reply with a specific artifact that could not be detected and
>>  corrected on a full-text Open Access database. (The CHE article,
>>  after all, was talking -- over and over -- about one simple,
>>  obviously soluble problem: using Journal impact factors to evaluate
>>  individuals' work. Surely direct citation counts are preferable --
>>  and the far richer and more diverse regression equation I sketched
>>  is more preferable still.)
>
> You are talking utopia, but I will name two possible artifacts.  First, the
> probabilities governing both use and citations are so low that it is really
> not possible to use these for comparison purposes for the vast majority of
> people or articles.

No doubt there will be cases (perhaps many/most cases) where any
differences will be too close to call or below the grain of random
variation. In such cases neither the journal CIF nor the exact article
citation counts will be sensitive enough to do any differential
evaluation. But there will also be cases where they will be sensitive
enough. And even where neither CIF nor citation counts are enough, an
Open Access (OA) corpus makes possible regression equation with a total
of at least 15 predictor variables, of which citation counts are just one:

    [1-4] article/author citation counts, growth rates, peak latencies,
    longevity; [5-8] download counts, growth rates, peak latencies,
    longevity; [9] download/citation correlation based predicted
    citations; [10-11] hub/authority scores; [13-14] co-citation with/by
    scores; [15] co-text scores (semantic proximity measures).

For example, early downloads predict citations 18 months later.

    Brody,  T. ,  Harnad,  S. and Carr,  L. (2005) Earlier Web Usage
    Statistics as Predictors of Later Citation Impact. Journal of the
    American Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST,
    in press).  http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10713/

> The differences are not all that great for the vast majority,
> as most people and articles are restricted to a very small range.

It's true that many articles have next to no citations, but not only will
the richer impact multiple regression have a better chance of detecting
significant differential variance in an OA database, but OA itself
enhances citations by 25%-250%, in all citation-brackets, putting more
meat on the psychometric bones. It also triples downloads:

    http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/lab/chawki/classement_citations.htm

And CiteRank (a variant of Authorities and PageRank) could also weight
citations differntially, also helping to stretch out the variance.

And the variance at the download level is below the sensitivity grain of
ISI's citation counts, but not OA's download counts.

> Elites are identifiable but these are small by their very definition.  ISI
> does cover the best, and you will be dragging just more dross.

No doubt the full OA corpus will include a lot of dross, and that will
be by definition undifferentiable and not worth differentiating. But OA
will also level the playing field, and give merit a better chance to
be accessed and used. The 25%-250% OA citation-count advantage for OA
vs. non-OA articles within the same journal was all based on ISI journals
("the best"), so there seems scope for increasing the available citation
variance there too...

>  Second, you
> will have the problem of differing professional ages with a concomitant
> Matthew Effect causing the misallocation scientific credit, citations, etc.

That's one of the many effects that *can* be detected and taken into
account in an OA corpus, by suitably adjusting window-sizes.

> A Nobelist can write a letter to the editor that will draw more citations
> than most people do in a lifetime.  No matter how you boil it, you are
> going to have to use some type of subjective judgment for the vast majority
> of people.  And these are just possible problems--not the least are your
> fuzzy definitions of what you are comparing.

I am not saying black-box bean-counting, no matter how rich and varied the
regression equation, can replace human judgment altogether. But it can
become a better and better supplement to it.

Stevan Harnad