authors read nationalliteratures?

ali uzun azun at METU.EDU.TR
Wed Nov 30 04:01:30 EST 2005

-----------Dear Dr. Whitney,
A recent article of mine titled `Assessing internationality of
scholarly journals through foreign authorship patterns`,
Scientometrics, Vol. 61, No.3(2004) 457-465, and the papers listed in
the references therein may be helpful. A set of major journals in
information science and scientometrics of the European or USA origin
were studied in the article.
Regards, Ali Uzun
--------

> You must make a distinction between scientists and physicians. To
lump
> them together is valid. You can tell from citation patterns of the
> literature outside the US that researchers read and cite the US
> literature. I just saw an analysis of citations to Lancet, Nature.
> Science, e.g,. by Chinese journals.
>
> It has often been claimed by Europeans that Americans do not read
their
> literature but I have never seen any proof of this. They were
studies
> long ago that showed that American physicians did not even cite
British
> journals, but again are we talking about research physicians or
> clinicians. The latter have barely enough time to read their own
> journals, whereever they are. However, the wide distribution of JAMA
> worldwide would indicate otherwise. Best wishes Gretchen. Gene
Garfield

WRITE.
> By analysis of these fields and titles/subjects, this assertion
seems to
> be supported because there is consitency in values regarding
therapies
> explored/supported/promoted from both fields.
>
> In other words, there is consistency in both that enable me to
assert
> that country x is exploring y therapy, as opposed to country w
exploring
> z therapy.
>
> Is there literature out there that supports the idea that
scientists,
> particularly physicians, read their national literatures
predominantly,
> and write in those intellectual domains?
>
> I've already tried Tenopir/King, and it wasn't them.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   --gw

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>
> <>
> Gretchen Whitney, PhD                                     tel
> 865.974.7919
> School of Information Sciences                            fax
> 865.974.4967
> University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA
> gwhitney at utk.edu
> http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
> jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
> SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html