authors read national literatures?

John McDonald jmcdonald at LIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Nov 29 19:22:25 EST 2005

Gretchen,  Here's just one recent example:

Schloegl,C & Stock WG (2004) Impact and Relevance of LIS Journals: A
Scientometric Analysis of International and German-Language LIS
Journals-Citation Analysis Versus Reader Survey. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN
SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 55(13):1155-1168, 2004

"There is not much information exchange between international,
i.e., English-writing, and German-writing LIS
authors. German-writing authors cite at least some international
journals such as JASIST, Online, Digital Libraries,
LibraryJournal , or Libri (see Figure 1). Authors of the
English-language LIS periodicals cite their German-writing
counterpart to such a small extent that the defined threshold
values were not reached. A similar result was found in a
study about foreign authorship distribution in JASIST and
Journal of Documentation (He & Spink, 2002). Accordingly,
125 authors from the United Kingdom and 110 from Canada
published articles in JASIST and American Documentation,
respectively, in the period 1950 to 1999. However, only 25
authors were from Germany, 6 from Switzerland, and 3 from
Austria. In the British Journal of Documentation, 128 authors
were from the United States, but only 8 from Germany,
3 from Switzerland, and none from Austria. This might raise
the following question: Are there any invisible borderlines
between English-speaking information scientists and their
German-speaking colleagues?"

They also cite a number of related studies that have shown the same
effect.  I think I would tend to think the reason for the results they
found is due to language abilities rather than cultural or national
identities.

John McDonald
Acquisitions Librarian
California Institute of Technology