Newbie/outsider question on software available to assist visualization of co-citation?

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Tue Nov 8 14:03:00 EST 2005

Hi All-
I find that I'm unable to sit quietly and lurk on the list so I hope
you'll forgive this question (and maybe answer it!).

I'm trying to visualize who's citing whom between two specific
organizations (not within a topic). I've searched on addresses in WoS
and retrieved relevant records and I've been playing with Dr. Chaomei
Chen's CiteSpace program to visualize the results.

My questions:
1) should it take ~hours to download 100 records with all the options
checked?
2) is there another program I should try to compare (freely available
and no programming required)?
3) can I do this between organizations, or only between people?  In
other words, I've got two files in the folder, one from University A,
one from University B.  The results are displayed, but I either have to
recognize the names or ?  Ideally, I'd like to see the citation
relationships between authors belonging to about 10 institutions.

Does this make sense?  Do I have to learn to program and make my own?
Is this the wrong forum for this question?

Thanks,

Christina K. Pikas, MLS (and Doctoral student, University of Maryland)