van Raan AFJ, "Reference-based publication networks with episodic memories " SCIENTOMETRICS 63 (3): 549-566 JUN 2005

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Mon Jun 13 15:57:14 EDT 2005

E-mail Addresses: vanraan at cwts.leidenuniv.nl

Title: Reference-based publication networks with episodic memories

Author(s): van Raan AFJ

Source: SCIENTOMETRICS 63 (3): 549-566 JUN 2005

Document Type: Article Language: English
Cited References: 32

Abstract:
In this paper we report first results of our study on network
characteristics of a reference-based, bibliographically coupled (BC)
publication network structure. We find that this network of clustered
publications shows different statistical properties depending on the age of
the references used for building the network. A remarkable finding is that
only the network based on all references within publications is
characterized by a degree distribution with a power-law dependence. This
structure, which is typical for scale-free networks, disappears when
selecting references of a specific age for the clustering process. Changing
the publication network as a function of reference age, allows "tuning
through the episodic memory' of the nodes of the network. We find that the
older the references, the more the network tends to change its structure
towards a more exponential degree distribution.

Addresses: van Raan AFJ (reprint author), Leiden Univ, Ctr Sci & Technol
Studies, Wassenaarseweg 52,POB 9555, Leiden, NL-2300 RB Netherlands
Leiden Univ, Ctr Sci & Technol Studies, Leiden, NL-2300 RB Netherlands

E-mail Addresses: vanraan at cwts.leidenuniv.nl

Publisher: SPRINGER, VAN GODEWIJCKSTRAAT 30, 3311 GZ DORDRECHT, NETHERLANDS

IDS Number: 924UH

ISSN: 0138-9130

Cited References:
ALBERT R, 2000, PHYS REV LETT, V85, P5234.
ALBERT R, 2002, REV MOD PHYS, V74, P47.
AMARAL LAN, 2000, P NATL ACAD SCI USA, V97, P11149.
BARABASI AL, 1999, PHYSICA A, V272, P173.
BARABASI AL, 1999, SCIENCE, V286, P509.
BARABASI AL, 2002, PHYSICA A, V311, P590.
BORNHOLDT S, 2001, PHYS REV E 2, V64.
DOROGOVTSEV SN, 2000, PHYS REV E A, V62, P1842.
DOROGOVTSEV SN, 2002, ADV PHYS, V51, P1079.
JEONG H, 2003, EUROPHYS LETT, V61, P567.
KLEMM K, 2002, PHYS REV E 2, V65.
KLEMM K, 2002, PHYS REV E 2A, V65.
KRAPIVSKY PL, 2000, PHYS REV LETT, V85, P4629.
LAHERRERE J, 1998, EUR PHYS J B, V2, P525.
LOTKA AJ, 1926, J WASHINGTON ACADEMY, V16, P317.
MOSSA S, 2002, PHYS REV LETT, V88.
NABESHIMA T, 2004, BIOSYSTEMS, V73, P131.
NARANAN S, 1971, J DOC, V27, P83.
NEWMAN MEJ, 2001, P NATL ACAD SCI USA, V98, P404.
NEWMAN MEJ, 2001, PHYS REV E 2, V64.
NEWMAN MEJ, 2001, PHYS REV E 2, V64.
NEWMAN MEJ, 2003, CONDMAT0303516.
PRICE DJD, 1965, SCIENCE, V149, P510.
PRICE DJD, 1976, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V27, P292.
REDNER S, 1998, EUR PHYS J B, V4, P131.
SIMON HA, 1955, BIOMETRIKA, V42, P425.
TSALLIS C, 2000, EUR PHYS J B, V13, P777.
VANRAAN AFJ, 1990, NATURE, V347, P626.
VANRAAN AFJ, 2000, SCIENTOMETRICS, V47, P347.
VANRAAN AFJ, 2001, PHYSICA A, V298, P530.
VAZQUEZ A, 2001, CONDMAT0105031.
WATTS DJ, 1998, NATURE, V393, P440.