Ahmed T, Johnson B, Oppenheim C, Peck C. "Watson & Crick 1953 paper + HistCite (Letter to the Editor)"

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Thu Jul 21 14:04:07 EDT 2005

E-mail: C.Oppenheim at lboro.ac.uk

Published in Scientometrics
 Vol. 63, No. 3 (2005) 631

AUTHOR : Tanzila Ahmed, Ben Johnson, Charles Oppenheim, Catherine Peck

TITLE  : Watson & Crick 1953 paper + HistCite
         -Letter to the Editor

SOURCE : Scientometrics, Vol:63, No:3, p.631, June 2005

Sir,

Since the publication of our article (AHMED et al., 2004) analysing
citations to the seminal Watson and Crick article (WATSON & CRICK, 1953) on
the structure of DNA,my attention has been drawn to a series of articles by
Garfield et al. (GARFIELD et al.,2003a; GARFIELD et al., 2003b; GARFIELD,
2003), in which they examined the citation history of this paper using the
HistCite software. Garfield et al.’s papers complement rather than
duplicate our work, and shed important new light on the impact of Watson
and Crick on subsequent researchers.  The HistCite program offers a
powerful new tool for helping those analysing citation histories.

Tanzila Ahmed
Ben Johnson
Charles Oppenheim
Catherine Peck