Enriching the Impact Regression Equation

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Jan 17 08:36:59 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
>
> An additional consideration which you wish to pay attention to, is the
> so-called ecological fallacy: "What is true for trees, is not necessarily
> true for a wood." On the one hand, the aggregation of citations to
> individual papers (using your methods) does not necessarily lead to a good
> indicator for journals and, on the other hand, journal self-citations are
> very different from author self-citations.

Dear Loet, thanks for your reply.

You are right, but the advantage of a multple regression equation is
that it can be used for and validated (and regression-weights adjusted)
against whatever one likes. So if what one wants the impact equation
to predict is article/author research impact, one adjusts the weights
accordingly. If it is merely journal usage, one can adjust them otherwise.

> Journal indicators (e.g., impact factors) are defined at the level of
> journals. The journals themselves as organizers may play a role in their
> values. But I agree that one should preferably look at the distributions
> (the variance) instead of the mean given the skewness of the distributions.

More than the variance! The regression equation would add many other impact
indicators; and the specific recursive adjustment I proposed ("CiteRank")
would go well beyond mere variance and distribution of the citation counts
too.

(Btw, is the Bach on http://users.fmg.uva.nl/lleydesdorff/list.htm
played by man or machine?)

Best wishes,