Enriching the Impact Regression Equation

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Jan 17 01:45:17 EST 2005

Dear Stevan,

An additional consideration which you wish to pay attention to, is the
so-called ecological fallacy: "What is true for trees, is not necessarily
true for a wood." On the one hand, the aggregation of citations to
individual papers (using your methods) does not necessarily lead to a good
indicator for journals and, on the other hand, journal self-citations are
very different from author self-citations.

Journal indicators (e.g., impact factors) are defined at the level of
journals. The journals themselves as organizers may play a role in their
values. But I agree that one should preferably look at the distributions
(the variance) instead of the mean given the skewness of the distributions.

With kind regards,

Loet