PhD thesis: Verification of bibliometric methods' ap plicability for thesaurus construction

Steven A. Morris samorri at OKSTATE.EDU
Fri Feb 25 15:25:27 EST 2005

Jesper,

I was not able to download the thesis using Netscape, but it worked when
I switched to Internet Explorer.

The thesis looks great, I liked the review of bibliometric methods in
Chapter 5.   Of course, the rest of the thesis (382 pages!) is not really
light reading, but I'm very enthusiastic about the idea of 'concept symbols'
and 'citation context analysis' as you've used them. Judging by your Summary
and Conclusions, you've been able to show that citation context analysis can
be used to identify candidate noun phrases for thesauri, that bibliographic
methods such as co-word analysis can help find thesaural relationships among
candidate terms, but you weren't able to detect changes in vocabulary over
time using bibliographic methods.

It would be interesting to see if your results, particularly those
pertaining to detection of vocabulary changes, will extend to other
specialties besides periodontology. Perhaps that field is sort of stuck in a
"puzzle solving" mode right now and is not really undergoing any fundamental
change.  Perhaps looking at some other field, like complex networks, or some
electronics specialties that are undergoing drastic change, would produce
different results that would lead you to different conclusions?

Regards,

S. Morris
Oklahoma State University

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:28:26 +0100, Schneider, Jesper Wiborg <JWS at DB.DK> w
rote: