Price DJD and Beaver DD. “Collaboration in an Invisible College,” American Psychologist 21(11):1011-18 (1966).

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Tue Aug 23 15:15:13 EDT 2005

Most of you should be familiar with the classic work _Little Science, Big
Science_  by Derek John de Solla Price, and the second edition   _Little
Science, Big Science
And Beyond,_ with a foreward by Robert K. Merton and
Eugene Garfield

At the recent International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics
(ISSI) meeting in Stockholm, it came to my attention that  the book’s
acknowledgements section failed to acknowledge that Donald deB. Beaver was
the co-author of the paper “Collaboration in an Invisible College,” which
was correctly entered in the Science Citation Index and cited 179 times.
Chapter 6 is essentially identical to that paper.  The complete reference
follows:

Price DJD and Beaver DD.  “Collaboration in an Invisible College,” American
Psychologist 21(11):1011-18 (1966).

Until there is an electronic version of the book, I thought it important
to call this omission to your  attention.

Eugene Garfield

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266

Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
3501 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3302
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
400 Market Street, Suite 1250, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2501
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T) www.asis.org