Multiple occurrences of cited work in Web of Sci e nce?

Garfield, Eugene garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Fri May 7 19:21:32 EDT 2004

Bernie: Okay, so it was a variation. The question is whether you want that
changed or not? If the system changed it to the first page of the article
then you would not know that the author had cited a specific page unless you
went to the full text.

There are those who prefer that these variations be changed in order to
increase the citation count,  and those who would object. In a chemical
search the specific page is often more relevant, especially if the paper is
frequently cited. Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Sloan, Bernie [mailto:bernies at UILLINOIS.EDU]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 6:17 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Multiple occurences of cited work in Web of
Scie nce?

Gene,

Thanks.

First, a clarification...I do use the truncation sign, i.e., I search on
"SLOAN B*". I wasn't saying I searched "SLOAN B" and/or "SLOAN BG". I was
saying the names were listed that way.

You said that "two of the citations were in error and did not CITE the
correct initial page." Well, yes and no. Yes, they did not cite the initial
page number of my paper. But no, the citations weren't in error from the
authors' perspectives. I went to the two citing papers, and in both cases
the authors appeared to be using a citation style that cites the specific
page number to which they are referring.

So, they are not mistakenly saying that my paper (which begins on page 117)
begins on page 122 or page 135. The respective authors are referring readers
to something on pages 122 and page 135.

Bernie Sloan