self-citations

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Fri Jul 23 16:43:27 EDT 2004

I'm not surprised that self-citations journal self-citations are too weak
to have much effect on the journal impact factor, but I'll bet author
self-citations have a somewhat bigger effect on author (or article) citation
counts. (Tim Brody is doing the OA/non-OA citation stats both ways: with and
without (author) self-citations, just to be sure. Good to know we need not
bother doing a control on journal self-citations.  Chrs, S