SIGMETRICS Digest - 12 Jan 2004 to 13 Jan 2004 (#2004-6)

Patricia Meindl pmeindl at CHEM.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Jan 14 09:20:27 EST 2004

Bernie,
A number of people have developed taxonomies for classifying the types
of citations:

Brooks, T. A. (1986). Evidence of complex citer motivations. Journal of
the American Society for Information Science, 37(1), 34-36.
Chubin, D. E., & Moitra, S. D. (1975). Content-Analysis of References -
Adjunct or Alternative to Citation Counting. Social Studies of Science,
5(4), 423-441.
Cronin, B. (1980). Some reflections on citation habits in psychology.
Journal of Information Science, 2(6), 309-311.
Frost, C. (1979). The use of citations in literary research: A
preliminary classification of citation functions. Library Quarterly, 49
, 399-414.
Hooten, P. A. (1991). Frequency and functional use of cited documents in
information- science. Journal of the American Society for Information
Science, 42(6), 397-404.
Moravcsik, M. J., & Murugesan, P. (1975). Some results on function and
quality of citations. Social Studies of Science, 5(1), 86-92.
Peritz, B. C. (1983). A classification of citation roles for the
social-sciences and related fields. Scientometrics, 5(5), 303-312.

As you can tell, I am interested in this topic too.

Patricia Meindl
Chemistry Library
University of Toronto