Qualitative citation analysis?

Garfield, Eugene Garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jan 13 14:50:01 EST 2004

I think this paper may be the type you are looking for.
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/libquart66(4)p449y1996.pdf

When to cite? Library Quarterly 1996. Best wishes. EG

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Sloan, Bernie [mailto:bernies at UILLINOIS.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 11:53 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] Qualitative citation analysis?

Quick question...

Is anyone aware of any studies of citation analysis from a qualitative
perspective?

By "qualitative citation analysis" I mean looking at how the author(s) of
papers use the citations, rather than simply counting citations.

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant, ILCSO
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454