Physics citation study

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Tue Aug 31 18:53:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Venkatrao Kalyane wrote:

> Kindly go through following and provide your critical
> comments, guidelines
> eprints.rclis.org/archive/00002200/

Dear Dr. Kalyane,

Thank you for sending your interesting study. Perhaps we could
meet to discuss it further when I am in Mumbai in a few weeks
time (sept 5):
http://www.jpgmonline.com/gc_pdetails2.asp

For now I would only point out that the physics arxiv contains both
preprints (i.e. pre-refereeing) and postprints (refereed) and that
preprints of course get cited earlier, because they become accessible
earlier. And both preprints and postprints get cited more, because they
are Open Access (and also because physicists tend to use arxiv as their
preferred means of access, as it contains so much in certain areas such
as HEP and astro).

It is interesting that the eprints are cited by high-impact journals
(but they also tend to have been self-archived by high-impact authors!).

You may be interested to see this recent article:

    Harnad, S. & Brody, T. (2004) Comparing the Impact of Open Access
    (OA) vs. Non-OA Articles in the Same Journals, D-Lib Magazine 10
    (6) June http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june04/harnad/06harnad.html

And these associated scientometric data and tools:
http://citebase.eprints.org/isi_study/
http://citebase.eprints.org/
http://citebase.eprints.org/analysis/correlation.php

More recent papaers are listed at: