JASIST citation improvement (fwd)

Dick Hill ASIST Exec rhill at ASIS.ORG
Mon Aug 2 15:58:30 EDT 2004

[Forwarded with permission.  Dick Hill]

From: Stephen J Bensman
08/02/2004 10:34 AM

To:    "Dr. Don Kraft" <kraft at bit.csc.lsu.edu>
cc:

Subject:    Re: JASIST citation improvement (fwd)

Don,
While one month does not a record make, you may be looking at a case of
cumulative advantage or a success-breeds-success process.  This is more
famously known as Robert K. Merton's "Matthew Effect."  JASIST is already
the top information science journal in terms of total citations, and it is
only natural for this process to continue at an exponential rate, unless
the leftists want to impose a progressive citation tax and redistribute the
citations to lower citation journals.

>>From my studies of chemistry and other sciences, I can pinpoint one element
of JASIST's growing advantage.  JASIST is a US association journal, and
these are the dominant journals in every field.  One reason for this is
that there appears to be a globalization of world science through the US
scientific associations, and this is certainly evident in the submissions
to JASIST, which are coming more and more from abroad.  JASIST is
attracting the best information scientists from abroad, who are trying to
publish in it for reasons of professional advancement.  Statements
admitting this have made in the foreign submissions you have sent me to
referee.  In a certain sense JASIST is sucking the air and life out of the
other information science journals.

If you want to see how this process works in other scientistific
disciplines, particularly chemistry,  you can study the article at the web
site below:

http://www.lib.lsu.edu/collserv/lrts/index.html

The section "The Social Bases of Scientific and Technical Value" is of
special interest in this respect.

I will let you make the decision on whether to distribute these words of
wisdom to the others on your list.

Stephen J. Bensman
LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University