O'Neill, K; Balsiger, J; VanDeveer, SD "Actors, norms, and impact: Recent international cooperation theory and the influence of the agent-structure debate" ANNUAL REVIEW OF POLITICAL SCIENCE 7. 2004. p.149-175

Mon Aug 2 14:10:52 EDT 2004

koneill at nature.berkeley.edu

TITLE:          Actors, norms, and impact: Recent international
                cooperation theory and the influence of the agent-structure
                debate'
                (Review, English)
AUTHOR:         O'Neill, K; Balsiger, J; VanDeveer, SD
SOURCE:         ANNUAL REVIEW OF POLITICAL SCIENCE 7. 2004. p.149-175
                ANNUAL REVIEWS, PALO ALTO

ABSTRACT:       This article reviews three recent developments in
international cooperation theory: the introduction of nonstate actors,
the study of norms and ideas, and increased examination of the
effectiveness, or impact, of international cooperation. Through the lens
of the agent-structure debate, we critique the literature that addresses
these themes. We argue, first, for a view of structure that goes beyond
material properties; second, that more attention could be paid to what
distinguishes agency in actors; and third, that this would provide
insights into how reflexivity and learning, as well as preference and
identity formation, contribute to structural transformation in the
international system through iterated processes of cooperation. We also
develop ways of applying the agent-structure debate to empirical as well
as metatheoretical. questions. The article concludes by discussing
directions for further research.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: K O'Neill, Univ Calif Berkeley, Div Soc & Environm, Dept
                Environm Sci Policy & Management, 135 Giannini Hall,
                Berkeley, CA 94720 USA