look at:

Andrea Scharnhorst Andrea.Scharnhorst at NIWI.KNAW.NL
Mon May 12 11:32:18 EDT 2003

look at:
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/?0305150
Condensed Matter, abstract
cond-mat/0305150
From: Mikhail Simkin <simkin at ee.ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 03:06:50 GMT   (110kb)

Copied citations create renowned papers?
Authors: M.V. Simkin, V.P. Roychowdhury
Subj-class: Disordered Systems and Neural Networks; Physics and Society

Recently we discovered (cond-mat/0212043) that the majority of scientific citations are copied from the lists of references used in other papers. Here we show that a model, in which a scientist picks three random papers, cites them,and also copies a quarter of their references accounts quantitatively for empirically observed citation distribution. Simple mathematical probability, not genius, can explain why some papers are cited a lot more than the other.

Dr. Andrea Scharnhorst
NERDI
Netherlands Institute for Scientific Information Services (NIWI)
KNAW
Joan Muyskenweg 25

Postbus 95110
1090 HC Amsterdam