Grossi F. Belvedere O. Rosso R. "Geography of clinical cancer research publications from 1995 to 1999" European Journal of Cancer 39(1):106-111 January 2003

Wed Mar 26 15:31:58 EST 2003

Francesco Grossi : francesco.grossi at med.uniud.it

TITLE   Geography of clinical cancer research publications from 1995 to 1999
AUTHOR  Grossi F, Belvedere O, Rosso R
JOURNAL EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER 39 (1): 106-111 JAN 2003

 Document type: Article   Language: English
 Cited References: 14     Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
In this paper, we study the geography of publications in clinical cancer
research from 1995 to 1999. A Medline search was performed to retrieve
papers in clinical oncology reporting phase I, II and III studies published
between 1995 and 1999. Only studies reporting antiblastic chemotherapy have
been considered, either alone or in combination with other treatments. For
each country, the total number of papers, the total Impact Factor (IF), and
the mean IF were determined. Similar calculations were performed to compare
the European Union versus North America. 3142 papers were identified. The
United States ranks first by number of papers (37.7% share), followed by
Italy (9.8%), the United Kingdom (8.5%) and Japan (6.9%). Investigators at
European institutions published a higher number of papers compared with
their North American colleagues (1362 versus 1288). Still the mean IF of
North American papers is higher than the papers with a European
address (3.54 versus 3.14). The majority of phase I studies were performed
in North America, while most of phase III studies were performed in Europe.
These results provide information on the geography of clinical cancer
research worldwide, which may reflect the human and economic resources
involved in this field. (C)
2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.

Author Keywords:
bibliometric analysis, clinical cancer research, clinical trials, Medline,
impact factor, countries, journals

KeyWords Plus:
SCIENCE

Addresses:
Grossi F, Univ Udine, Div Med Oncol, Pzle S M Misericordia, I-33100 Udine,
Italy
Univ Udine, Div Med Oncol, I-33100 Udine, Italy
NCI, Div Med Oncol, Genoa, Italy

Publisher:
PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD, OXFORD

IDS Number:
648MY

ISSN:
0959-8049

 Cited Author            Cited Work                Volume      Page   Year

 *I SCI INF            J CIT REP                                       1994
 *PHARM RES MAN AM     2001 IND PROF                                   2001
 *WHO STAT INF SYST    WHO EST HLTH PERS PH
 BENZER A              LANCET                       341       247      1993
 BOURKE P              CRISIS AUSTR SCI                                1994
 GARFIELD E            AM DOC                        14       195      1963
 GARFIELD E            SCI PUBL POLICY               19       321      1992
 KING J                J INFORM SCI                  13       261      1987
 MAY RM                SCIENCE                      275       793      1997
 MELA GS               EUR J CANCER                  35      1182      1999
 PARODI S              TUMORI                        79         9      1993
 SEGLEN PO             BRIT MED J                   314       497      1997
 TAUBES G              SCIENCE                      260       884      1993
 UGOLINI D             EUR J CANCER                  38      1121      2002