Wormell I. "Bibliometric navigation tools for users of subject portals" JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE 29 (3): 193-201 2003

Mon Dec 1 16:14:00 EST 2003

Irene Wormell : irene.wormell at hb.se

TITLE    Bibliometric navigation tools for users of subject portals
AUTHOR   Wormell I
JOURNAL  JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE  29 (3): 193-201 2003

Document type: Article  Language: English   Cited References: 6
Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
This study aimed to test the usefulness of bibliometric methods for the
evaluation of subject portals at the Nordic research libraries, and to
generate ideas for the creative use of portal resources in the new learning
environment of the universities. The subject portals for social sciences
were chosen as objects for the study. SamWebb at Gothenburg University
Library in Sweden was selected as the main portal for this study. Bisigate
at the Aarhus Business School Library, Denmark, was the other partner
included in the analysis. In order to capture the local users' views and
requirements of the portals, the analyses targeted two selected institutions
in both countries with visibility in the international research arena:
Gothenburg University,Department of Political Sciences and Aarhus School of
Business, Department of Organization and Management. Through bibliometric
analysis a list of 'candidate journals' was compiled for the stitution(s)and
matched with the available portal resources. The methodology was used to see
how well the portals are supporting the current, local research activities
at the institution(s), and if the new, emerging research areas are covered
by the resources pooled at the subject portals. The article provides a set
of examples which illustrate the type of information and visualization
material which could be used to explore the resources of the portals (and
the library), and to facilitate the individual searching and navigation
among students and researchers in the electronic information landscape.

Addresses:
Wormell I, Swedish Sch Lib & Informat Sci, Allegatan 1, S-50190 Boras,
Sweden
Swedish Sch Lib & Informat Sci, S-50190 Boras, Sweden

Publisher:
SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD, 6 BONHILL STREET, LONDON EC2A 4PU, ENGLAND

IDS Number:
708NM

 Cited Author            Cited Work                Volume      Page   Year
     ID

 MCCAIN KW             ADV SERIAL                     6       105      1997
 MCCAIN KW             LIBR QUART                    61       311      1991
 NISONGER TE           LIBR ACQUIS PRACT TH          18       447      1994
 NISONGER TE           MANAGEMENT SERIALS L                            1998
 WORMELL I             ED INFORMATION                18       131      2000
 WORMELL I             NORDINFO NYTT                 25        12      2002

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD.  email: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T)  www.asis.org

ISSN:
0165-5515