Hunter P. "The Power of Power Laws" The Scientist, 7(8):p.22, April 21, 2003

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Apr 30 05:59:45 EDT 2003

Dear Quentin,

In scientometrics we study textual units of analysis. We assume that
these representations provide us with access to evolving communication
systems. Communications can be considered as operations that develop
algorithmically (by changing the units of analysis). However, in the
discourse we need geometrical metaphors to communicate, but inadvertedly
we thus reduce the representation with one degree of freedom. The
alternative would be to communicate in terms of movies or perhaps
videoclipses.

Simulation studies are perhaps helpful from this perspective because one
can exhibit the (algorithmic) animations. The fingerprints of the
communication as studied in scientometrics (by analyzing texts
statistically) can inform us from the perspective of simulation studies
about parameter estimations. However, the construction of indicators
would then have to be rethought and the relation with existing
indicators carefully specified.

Hitherto, most longitudinal studies in scientometrics have been based on
comparative statics (for example, comparing mappings for different
years). In the narrative one can then choose between a focus on the
complexity at each moment in time or the trajectory along the time axis.
In my opinion, the issue is how to combine the dynamic perspective with
the perspective on the complexity at each moment without loosing the
operationalization in scientometric terms.

consider you as a lay audience. :-) The issue is difficult, but perhaps
this message still communicates.

With kind regards,

Loet