English Translation of V.V. Nalimov's book, Naukametriya (Scientometrics)

Quentin L. Burrell quentinburrell at MANX.NET
Fri Oct 4 16:56:21 EDT 2002

Gene

I read Nalimov's paper quite a long time ago, but I can't remember how I
accessed it at the time. Certainly I don't have a copy. I was therefore keen
to take up your offer of access. However, clicking on to the site just gives
me the two cover sheets, not the document! Have I missed something or done
anything wrong?

Best wishes

Quentin

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU]On Behalf Of Eugene Garfield
Sent: 03 October 2002 20:57
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] English Translation of V.V. Nalimov's book,
Naukametriya (Scientometrics)

Dear Colleagues:

We are all indebted to Professor V.V. Nalimov for having coined the term
"Scientometrics".  However, it has been my experience that very few
information scientists have read his 1969 classic.  The importance of this
work was recognized by the U.S. Intelligence Agency shortly after it
appeared.  The English translation has been available since then, but its
availability is generally not known.

It is with great pleasure that I have posted this translation to my Web page
for its historic significance.  You can access "Measurement of Science: A
study of the development of science as an information process"
http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/nalimov/measurementofscience/book.pdf

Best wishes,
Eugene Garfield

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD.
email: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com 3535 Market Street,
Suite 200, Philadelphia, Pa 19104
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
3501 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19104
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T)  www.asis.org