Popescul A, Flake GW, Lawrence S, Ungar LH, Giles CL "Clustering and identifying temporal trends in document databases" IEEE Advances in Digital Libraries 2000, Proceedings, p.173-182, 2000

Mon Nov 12 13:10:18 EST 2001

Alexandrin Popescul : popescul at unagi.cis.upenn.edu

TITLE:     Clustering and identifying temporal trends in document databases

AUTHOR     Popescul A, Flake GW, Lawrence S, Ungar LH, Giles CL

SOURCE     IEEE Advances in Digital Libraries 2000, Proceedings, p.173-182,
2000  IEEE Computer Soc. Los Alamitos

ABSTRACT
We introduce a simple and efficient method for clustering and identifying
temporal trends in hyper-linked document databases.  Our method can scale to
large databases because it exploits the underlying regularity often found in
hyper-linked document databases.  Because of this scalability, we can use
our method to study the temporal trends of individual clusters in a
statistically meaningful manner.  As an example of our approach, we give a
summary of the temporal trends found in a scientific literature database
with thousands of documents.

AUTHOR ADDRESS
A. Popescul, Univ. Penn, Dept. Comp & Informat Sci, 200 S. 33rd Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA