Impact Factor in Brazil

Garfield, Eugene Garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Sat Sep 9 15:38:27 EDT 2000

Here is the list of 17 journals from Brazil covered in the 1999 Journal
Citation Reports. But I don't quite understand its relevance to the comments
that follow. In general, the more local low impact  journals that are
included in the calculation of impact, the lower will be the overall impact
of that country's impact. It is not unusual to look only at the impact in
international journals.

    1999 JCR Science Edition

----

JOURNAL SUMMARY LIST
Selection:    BRAZIL
Sorted by:     Journal Title Total Cites Impact Factor Immediacy Index
Current Articles Cited Half-Life

----
Journals 1 - 17 (of 17)    [ 1 ]
 Page 1 of 1
    Ranking is based on your journal and sort selections.

Mark Rank Abbreviated Journal Title
(linked to full journal information) ISSN 1999
Total Cites Impact
Factor Immediacy
Index 1999
Articles Cited
Half-life
   1 ARQ BIOL TECNOL
  0365-0979  95  0.091    0
   2 ARQ BRAS MED VET ZOO
  0102-0935  93  0.119  0.059  102
   3 ARQ NEURO-PSIQUIAT
  0004-282X  294  0.173  0.042  190  5.7
   4 BRAZ ARCH BIOL TECHN
  0365-0979  4  0.065  0.042  48
   5 BRAZ J GENET
  0100-8455  106  0.189    0  3.9
   6 BRAZ J MED BIOL RES
  0100-879X  1119  0.517  0.069  204  5.3
   7 COMPUT APPL MATH
  0101-8205  38  0.250  0.500  4
   8 ECLET QUIM
  0100-4670  8  0.036  0.000  9
   9 GENET MOL BIOL
  1415-4757  21  0.250  0.031  96
   10 J BRAZIL CHEM SOC
  0103-5053  212  0.436  0.025  80  3.5
   11 MEM I OSWALDO CRUZ
  0074-0276  1281  0.636  0.046  241  7.3
   12 PESQUI AGROPECU BRAS
  0100-204X  452  0.106  0.021  290  9.1
   13 PESQUISA VET BRASIL
  0100-736X  52  0.178  0.000  20
   14 QUIM NOVA
  0100-4042  329  0.304  0.083  133  4.6
   15 REV BRAS ZOOTECN
  0100-4859  34  0.056  0.120  158
   16 REV MICROBIOL
  0001-3714  127  0.212  0.000  32  5.5
   17 REV SOC BRAS ZOOTECN
  0100-4859  118  0.089    0  5.0

Journals 1 - 17 (of 17)    [ 1 ]
 Page 1 of 1

I can easily visualize a group of scientists who make a significant impact
within their own countries because they are focused on problems of great
national interest. They may or may not also publish good work in
international journals but not of unusually high impact.

I do not understand your leap to the issue of imperialism. What exactly does
that mean? Gene

----
Copyright (c) 1999 Institute for Scientific Information

Eugene Garfield, PhD.
President, American Society for Information Science (ASIS&T)  www.asis.org
Chairman Emeritus, ISI  www.isinet.com
Publisher, The Scientist   www.the-scientist.com