bibliometric analysis of select information science print and electronic journals in the 1990s

Wallace Koehler wkoehler at OU.EDU
Wed Nov 1 08:53:52 EST 2000

A little self-serving advertising - a paper my research methods class
produced:

A bibliometric analysis of select information science print and electronic
journals in the 1990s

Wallace Koehler, Paulita Aguilar, Sharon Finarelli, Charles Gaunce, Susan
Hatchette, Rebecca Heydon, Emily McEwen, Wendy Mahsetky-Poolaw, Charles T.
Melson,Rory Patterson, Mark Stahl, Mary Ann Walker, JoAnna Wall, and Gabe
Wingfield
Information Research, Volume 6 No. 1 October 2000,
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~is/publications/infres/paper88.html
Abstract:
This paper examines three e-journals and one paper journal begun in the
1990s within the information science genre. In addition, these journals are
compared to what is perhaps the leading information science journal, one
that has been published continuously for fifty years.  The journals we
examine are CyberMetrics, Information Research, the Journal of Internet
Cataloging, Libres, and the Journal of the American Society for Information
Science. We find that there are a number of important differences among the
journals. These include frequency of publication, publication size, number
of authors, and the funding status of articles. We also find differences
among journals for distributions of authors by gender and corporate authors
by region. Some of the regional differences can be explained by journal
maturation -- the more mature the journal the greater the dispersion. We
also find that women are more likely to publish in the newer journals than
in JASIS.  The fact that a journal is or is not an e-journal does not
appear to affect its presence or "behaviour" as an information science
journal.
Wallace Koehler
Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Studies
University of Oklahoma
wkoehler at ou.edu
405.325.3921  FAX 405.325.7648