[Sigkm-l] New ASIST Panel and REMINDER: deadline today

Deborah Swain swainham at msn.com
Sun Jan 21 15:21:37 EST 2007

Claire,               <Pardon any double postings.>
How exciting to see such a strong, research-based panel. Unless someone on
the Executive Committee objects, I wholehearedly endorse the panel as
sponsored by the SIG/KM and thank you for responding to suggestions to form
one.

I read Mark's comments (thanks, Mark) and think it bodes well for the
conference.I invite all SIG/KM members to attend to keep this dialogue going
in Milwaukee .

I believe we have a SIG that is representative of many views --conservative,
political, academic, scientific, government and business oriented. We are
also global with many members from the ICKM that began in Singapore. I have
often wondered why so many organizations and companies worldwide (especially
in Great Britain) support "knowledge management" while American expectations
as with AI efforts have been so high that success is such a struggle. In a
world where a communist country like China can create such a strong market
economy, I can only say we need Web 2.0 to understand more and more.

Let's all talk in October. <But don't let me stop any dialogues and social
networking NOW by YOU. I just need to get ASIST Conference things done for a
while longer and get back to duties on campus and as a consultant.> Thanks
in advance.

Apologies for last minute response today. I had to teach yesterday. Am
catching up. Again, thank you, Claire, for doing such a thorough job (I hope
Joseph, Anna-Karin, and Ron are copied on this. Welcome.)

Final reminder to all. TODAY IS THE DEADLINE. Go to www.asis.org to submit
anything. Please contact me if you have questions. I have submitted the
following two panels you have generously agreed to develop and later today
will help submit the panel on Project Management and our "Speed Meeting"
idea as a technical session (cosponsored by SIG/MGT and SIG/BWP):

1)PANEL: "Current Issues in the Distribution of Health and Medical
Information"
A Panel co-sponsored by SIG/KM and SIG/MED:

·	Catherine Arnott Smith, casmith24 at wisc.edu, School of Library and
Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison: consumer health
vocabulary (how the words consumers use when describing health information
needs impacts knowledge management)
·	Tim Patrick, tp5 at uwm.edu and Paula Rhyner, prhyner at uwm.edu, College of
Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee: the application of KM
tools for improving information retrieval in a children’s health informatics
project.
·	Deborah Swain, dswain at nccu.edu, School of Library and Information
Sciences, NC Central University: the development of an online community and
social network among public health informatics practitioners in NC.
·	Leonard Davolio, ldavolio at mii.ucla.edu, Department of Information Studies,
University of California-Los Angeles: the unexpected consequences of reuse
of medical data as part of social networking.

Moderator:   Ted Morris, tamorris at kent.edu
Proposer:    Deborah E. Swain, swainham at msn.com

2)PANEL: "Traditional and Non-traditional Knowledge Management in Research
and Practice"

Why do many corporate and government clients refuse to set up collaborative,
knowledge management tools? Looking at innovation in academia and business,
this panel will address the use of knowledge management to enable in-depth
intelligence work, distributed collaboration, social computing, and
information sharing in organizations. Presenters will discuss new approaches
to KM applications including live demonstrations of current tools. During
demos there will be interactive audience participation, in addition to Q&A
opportunities. The panelists plan to show how taxonomies, indexes, web
interfaces, and social networking theories are being applied.

Co-sponsored by SIG/KM, SIG/LT, and SIG/CR; also with the support of SCIP
(Society for Competitive Intelligence Professionals).

·	Tao Jin, tao.jin at mcgill.ca, and Dr. France Bouthillier,
france.bouthillier at mcgill.ca, competitive intelligence research on how CI
professionals collaborate using current knowledge technologies
·	Buff Bowen, bbowen at hab-tech.com, the application of an “intelligence
center” based on taxonomies for collaboration in a corporate environment
·	Skip Boettger, Skipboe at aol.com, how pragmatics and measurements for KM
elements provides measurable value and other benefits
·	Mark Montgomery, markm at kyield.com, machine interpreter for Web content as
a necessary step for Web 2.0 if the knowledge workforce is to be more
functional and automated

Moderator: Dr. Rajesh Pillania, New Dehli, r_pillania at yahoo.com
Proposed by: Dr. Deborah Swain, SIG/KM, swainham at msn.com

NOTE: the Planning Committee is supportive of our "Knowledge Cafe" event.

Thank you ALL again.
More later on results, Deborah
Dr. Deborah E. Swain, Ph.D.
School of Library and Information Sciences
NC Central University, PO Box 19586
Durham, NC  27707
Office Phone: 919-833-9028   Campus Phone: 530-7502
Email: swainham at msn.com   Alt Email: dswain at nccu.edu
Fax: 919-530-6402