[Sigkm-l] Knowledge management at ASIST Annual Conference

Michael Smith MSmith at lib-gw.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:57:57 EDT 2003

I hope everybody is ready for Long Beach, and that Long Beach is ready
for us!

I want to second Mary Durham's (SIG KM Chair) encouragement to attend
the program cos-sponsored by SIG KM and SIG MGMT on Tuesday, October
21st at 2:00 PM. The program "Maturity Models and Benchmarks in
Knowledge Management" should prove to be a very interesting session. As
Mary told us, the program will cover 3 important topics:

1) Frank Bianchetti of Quest Diagnostics, speaking on "Growing Up
Together - Knowledge Modeling and Management Maturity."  This talk
will
introduce the concept of maturity models and their application in
Knowledge
Management.  It will examine specific KM-focused maturity models and
their
relationship to organizational maturity.

2) JoAnne Sparks of Memorial Sloan-Kettering (formerly of
Bristol-Myers
Squibb), speaking on "Experiences with Benchmarking and Best
Practices."
JoAnne will discuss experience with using specific resources as
benchmarking
tools.

3) Skip Boetter, Collaboration and Knowledge Architect, of
MacroSource,
speaking on "Optimizing Benchmarking Value by Ingraining Knowledge
Discipline Elements."  Skip will discuss the value of a model, offer
case
studies, and cover the ability to measure and benchmark practices.

Don't miss this one!

Governance and Social Events

-  Both Mary and I will be manning the SIG KM table on Sunday, October
19th at 6:00 PM for the "Welcome Reception and SIG Rush." We encourage
all SIG KM members to stop by and help Rush some new members.

-  Tuesday, October 21st we will hold our SIG KM Planning Session. It
is scheduled for 5:00 PM so watch the schedule for its location. This is
an important session to discuss program topics for next years
conference, and any activities that we might engage in over the year. We
encourage all SIG KM members to attend and come with some exciting ideas
on what you think  would make a great SIG KM program in 2004.

-  Most importantly, right after our meeting we will break bread at our
SIG KM Dutch Treat Dinner. Dinner location is not yet decided but it
should be fun, and we certainly plan on being back for SIG CON!!

-  Finally, Mary and I will represent SIG KM at the Wednesday, October
22nd, at the ASIST SIG Planning Meeting where we will share all the
wonderful ideas you have provided us.

It looks like Long Beach is shaping up great. We hope to see there.
Safe travel.

Regards
Michael M. Smith
SIG KM Chair-elect