[Sigkm-l] KM, KMS, and OL Syllabi Request

pgray at katz.pitt.edu pgray at katz.pitt.edu
Fri May 2 15:10:07 EDT 2003

(With apologies for cross-posting)

I am once again collecting syllabi for courses taught in the areas of Knowledge
Management (KM), Knowledge Management Systems (KMS), and Organizational Learning
(OL). This is the fourth year that I have posted public requests for syllabi
that are related to OL, KM and/or KMS. Based on previous results, course topics
that fall under this (admittedly broad!) conceptual umbrella are taught by
faculty in a diversity of disciplines. This email will therefore be cross-posted
to a variety of list-servs in an attempt to include syllabi from academics from
the following disciplinary homes:

-        Management Information Systems
-        Organizational Behavior / Organization Theory
-        Information Science

The 2002 list of syllabi is online at
http://qlink.queensu.ca/~8phg/KMS_Courses.htm

(Some of the links at this URL have rotted; however, a new URL on a University
of Pittsburgh server will be made available once the responses are compiled, in
a few weeks. Details to come.)

Based on the 2002 syllabi, there seem to be some topics that are more commonly
addressed across disciplines (e.g. the tacit/explicit continuum) and some that
are more discipline-specific (e.g. knowledge-based systems, motivational issues,
knowledge repositories, adult learning). By gathering syllabi from these related
areas together in one site, I hope to encourage communication amongst educators
who are working in parallel (or perhaps complementary) areas, particularly
because the topic matters covered in these kinds of courses is still very much
evolving. If you teach a course that covers related topics and would like to
make your syllabus available through this page, please email me at
pgray at katz.pitt.edu with the following details:

1) Your name, position, and affiliation
2) Course title
3) The target audience: Undergrad, MBA, MSc/PhD, Executive audience, certificate
program.
4) Major topics covered in your syllabus and/or keywords
5) URL of your syllabus that we can link to (or alternately, attach the syllabus
in document form)
6) If you are using one or more textbooks as the core of your course, please
indicate briefly title and authors.

Alternately, if you host or are involved in producing a web page that has
relevance to individuals teaching KMS, KM and/or OL courses (including online
papers about teaching these topics) please email me details and I will post
these as well.

Many thanks to all who have contributed in the past! Once all the responses have
been compiled a message will be posted to this list-serv with details for the
new web page.

Peter

Peter Gray
Assistant Professor