[Sigiii-l] Call for suggestions for sessions and panels to be sponsored by SIG-III at the 2006 ASIST conference.

Catherine Johnson johnson at sois.uwm.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:56:13 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I would first like to introduce myself.  My name is Kate Johnson and I
am the new Program Chair for SIG-III, 2005-2006. I teach in the School
of Information Studies at the U. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  My reason for
being in the SIG-III is my interest in Mongolia where I did my
dissertation research.  My main interest now is in the development of
education for librarians in Mongolia, the role of public libraries in
community development and issues around the digital divide in developing
countries.

The theme for ASIST 2006 is "Information Realities: Shaping the Digital
Future for All".  This is a very pertinent topic for our SIG, so I am
hoping we can come up with some interesting session and panel ideas.
Some that occur to me include:

Distance Education - collaborative learning across international
boundaries

Transborder data flow and policy issues

E-governance and developing countries

Indigenous knowledge and digital libraries - collecting, preserving and
disseminating IK

If you are not coming to ASIST this year, could you please forward any
ideas to me that you would like me to present to the SIG.  If you are
coming please come prepared to share your ideas at the Business meeting
on Tuesday from 6pm-8pm.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting many of you in Charlotte.

All the best,

Kate

Catherine A. Johnson, Ph.D.

School of Information Studies