[Sigiii-l] [Fwd: Call for suggestions for sessions and panels to be sponsored by SIG-III at the 2006 ASIST conference.]

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 18 12:54:40 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Call for suggestions for sessions and panels to be sponsored
by SIG-III at the 2006 ASIST conference.
Date: 	Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:44:09 -0500
From: 	caj3 at uwm.edu

Hello All,

I would first like to introduce myself.  My name is Kate Johnson and I am the
new Program Chair for 2005-2006. I teach in the School of Information Studies
at the U. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  My reason for being in the SIG-III is my
interest in Mongolia where I did my dissertation research.  My main interest
now is in the development of education for librarians in Mongolia, the role of
public libraries in community development and issues around the digital divide
in developing countries.

The theme for ASIST 2006 is “Information Realities: Shaping the Digital Future
for All”.  This is a very pertinent topic for our SIG, so I am hoping we can
come up with some interesting session and panel ideas.  Some that occur to me
include:

Distance Education – collaborative learning across international boundaries
Transborder data flow and policy issues
E-governance and developing countries
Indigenous knowledge and digital libraries – collecting, preserving and
disseminating IK

If you are not coming to ASIST this year, could you please forward any ideas to
me that you would like me to present to the SIG.  If you are coming please come
prepared to share your ideas at the Business meeting on Tuesday from 6pm-8pm.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting many of you in Charlotte.

All the best,

Kate